Curry Quinoa Salad
How's this for eating your colours?
Curry and I really didn't get together until later in life. I'm not quite sure what held me back for so long but ever since my trip to South East Asia a few years ago I just can't get enough of curry anything now.
Spices really go a long way in bumping up the flavours in healthy foods. This recipe was inspired by a curried couscous from my girl Ina, I just added some quinoa and a few more colours to the original. Yum. You could do this with rice or really any grain that you have. SO delicious as a side dish or a lunch salad. This recipe will keep for a week and only gets better flavours as time goes on.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cups vegetable broth or water to cook quinoa
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (or really any vinegar will be great)
1 tablespoon good curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chopped carrots (about 4 regular size carrots)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (crasins)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup red Onion
1. Cook quinoa according to directions on package - I like to use the broth because I find it adds more flavour but this is totally optional.
2. In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry power, and s + p.
3. Chop the veggies - I like using the vitamix to wet chop (pictured above) my carrots because I am lazy but hand is also great too.
4. In a big bowl combine the quinoa, veggies and stir in the sauce.
5. Serve cold or at room temperature.